The Moorish-designed La Grande Station, located at 2nd Street and Santa Fe Ave., opened on July 29, 1893, and was the main terminal for the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railways for over 40 years.
Photo, c. 1899.
A vintage postcard of a train arriving, circa 1905.
Saying their good-byes at, circa May of 1924. (LAPL)
The Long Beach earthquake of 1933 badly damaged it, resulting in the terminal building’s temporary closure and the eventual removal of the dome.
Inside a coach of the “City of Los Angeles,” a Union Pacific streamliner that ran from Chicago to Los Angeles, circa 1937. (LAPL 00067041)
La Grande Station permanently closed in 1939, after the opening of the new Union Station.
In 1947, the Santa Fe Railroad replaced the terminal with a new Metro Rail Maintenance of Way Building.