Above photo: Main Street, looking north from around 6th Street. Photo was taken on May 8, 1901, the day U.S. President William McKinley visited Los Angeles.
The Los Angeles High School football team, circa 1899-1900.
According to the Los Angeles Times, the high school occasionally played colleges and universities to fill its season.
For instance, when the 1899 Southern California football season opened on October 14, Los Angeles High School beat U.S.C.’s eleven-man freshman team by a score of 7-0. Then after losing to Santa Monica High School by a score of 5-0, Los Angeles High School went on to beat Occidental College’s eleven-man team by a score of 11-0 in December of that year.
A farming homestead around the turn of the 20th Century. The ranch was supposedly located between Compton and Gardena.
Front Street in Norwalk, CA, circa 1900. The population at the time was a little over 1000 people, and congregating in the town’s business district was quite popular among the menfolk. (Photo: Marcia and Ramsey/LAPL)
Glendale, CA, c. 1900. (LAPL 00060851)
St. James Park, located in the West Adams district, around the turn of the 20th Century.
A crowd of moving picture fans in Los Angeles, circa 1900, waiting outside of an early cinema building. While the exact location is unknown, it was located a couple of blocks away from a tall Victorian structure. Was it the old Victorian American National Bank building on Broadway? Hmmm. (LAPL)
Broadway Street, circa 1901.
Beautiful ladies, all holding Kodak cameras, represent the Los Angeles Camera Club in the La Fiesta Floral Parade, held in downtown Los Angeles on May 8, 1901. The women wore white dresses. The eight-horse team sported pink and green trimmed leather harnesses.
The parade was a big deal. So big, in fact, that U.S. President William McKinley and his wife led it.
A Los Angeles Times truck, circa 1901.
The Turkish Parlor of the Angelus Hotel, which opened in 1901 and was demolished in 1956. The hotel used to exist on the corner of 4th and Spring Street, but was upstaged by the Alexandria, when it opened in 1906.
A visit to the Los Angeles Pigeon Farm near Elysian Park, around 1902.
The interior of an early motorcycle and horseless carriage store owned by Ralph Hamlin, circa 1902. The business was located at 1837 South Main Street. (LAPL: 00071965)
A Presidential visit!
In 1903, U.S. President Theodore Roosevelt participated in 48-hour whirlwind tour of Southern California.
After Roosevelt spent the night at the Riverside Mission Inn on May 6, he traveled by train to Claremont to make a speech at Pamona College. He then traveled to Pasadena to briefly pay his respects to U.S. President James Garfield’s widow and gave a speech at a high school.
Around 1:00 pm on May 7, Roosevelt’s train arrived at the Arcade Station and the president was whisked away to Los Angeles after being greeted by the governor. Roosevelt then ate lunch at a banquet held at the Westminster Hotel on Main and 4th before attending a special floral parade held in his honor.
The group in the background is partly comprised of “Teddy’s Terrors,” a group of Los Angeles Republicans wearing Rough Rider uniforms. These Terrors provided additional security throughout Roosevelt’s brief Southern California visit.
Ballona Harbor at the Playa del Rey. Judging from the resort in the background, I’d guess that this photo was taken between 1903 and 1906.
The Los Angeles Cycling Club lines up for a race on Spring Street near 8th Street in 1904.
The Standard Woodenware Company, once located at 230-234 South Los Angeles St., made and sold brooms and wooden furniture, wholesale. It was also a company that suffered a history of fires. Their Los Angeles Street plant caught fire in 1904, suffering heavy damages. The plant was rebuilt but caught fire again in 1906, this time set by arsonists. By 1911, the Standard Woodenware Company made plans for a new plant. USC claims that at least one of Woodenware’s plant buildings was located at 1126 S. Santa Fe Ave. However, in 1916, the newspapers claimed that their plant at 1828 Traction Avenue caught fire. The company remained in business at least until 1922.
The year is 1904. The Los Angeles Police Department’s bicycle squad rides into action down Broadway past 6th Street.
Los Angeles Police Department officers standing by their motor vehicle. Judging from the shape of their badges, I’m guessing that the photo was taken between 1903 and 1909.
Near the corner of Belmont and First Street in 1904.
The Nat Reiss Southern Carnival, circa 1904, at the corner of Pico and Grand. The well-known carnival was brought in by a couple of pro-labor organizers to raise money to build a Labor Temple in Los Angeles. The Los Angeles Times, fiercely anti-union at the time, tried unsuccessfully to stop the event from taking place. (Photo: LAPL)
According to the Los Angeles Public Library, the Childrens Hospital address in this photo might have been 769 Castelar Street (at the intersection of Alpine Street). I’m guessing that this photo was taken around 1904-1905, after the hospital’s renovation. The hospital did, however, move to a new building on the corner of Sunset and Vermont in late 1913 – early 1914. That would be my other guess.
A night view of Los Angeles from on top of Mt. Wilson in January of 1905. (LAPL)
The Drawing Room and Compartment in the Sleeping Car of the Los Angeles Ltd., c.1905.
The interior of the Observation Car for the Los Angeles Ltd., circa 1905.
“Sweet Peas and White Mustard” in the La Fiesta Floral Parade, circa 1905.
Glendale’s original Casa Verdugo Restaurant, sometime between 1905 and 1910. The location (as far as I can tell) used to be on the east side of Brand Boulevard near Mountain Street.
A 1905 Pacific Electric street car.
“Balloon Route Excursions” around Los Angeles, circa 1905.
Rambler Bicycles at 209 West 5th Street near Spring, c. 1905
Broadway looking north from 5th Street in 1905. (LAPL 00008062)
In 1905, the Los Angeles Library occupied the second and third floors of the Laughlin Building at 312 S. Hill Street. It boasted 314 periodicals and 81 newspapers on file. It also contained over 120,000 books.
Library Hours: Monday through Saturday, 1 p.m. to 9 p.m. Closed for holidays.
The Shanghai Cafe, once located at 431 1/2 South Spring Street, was a popular Chinese food restaurant when it opened around October of 1905. The proprietor was G.S. Ung, who boasted that its menu had 500 Chinese items, including wines.
The popular cafe ran into trouble after four years of operation, losing its liquor license in 1909 for selling alcohol to adolescents under 18 years old.
The Dreamland Rollerskating Rink, when it opened in the Spring of 1906 at 1138 N. Main Street, was touted as the largest rink in the city. It lasted almost a year.
The King Edward opened in 1906. Architect: John Parkinson
The original Shrine Auditorium (Al Malaikah Temple) was built in 1906, but later destroyed by fire in January 1920.
The Temple Auditorium, once located at 427 W. 5th St., opened in November 1906. It was built by wealthy Baptists from Temple Baptist Church at a cost of $350,000. In 1914, the name of the auditorium changed to Clune’s before becoming the Philharmonic Auditorium in the 1920s.
The First Methodist Episcopal Church on the corner of Hill and 6th Street in downtown Los Angeles, circa 1906.
The Southwest Turquoise Company was a gem cutting business that lasted from 1906 to around 1920. This photo was taken at its first location at 113 N. Broadway Street sometime between 1906 and 1909.
Dining at the Cafe Bristol, once located at 4th and Spring Streets in Los Angeles, in the basement of the H.W. Hellman Building. The Bristol Orchestra entertained on occasion. Photo postcard dates around 1906-1909. The proprietors at one time were two gents named Schneider and Fieber.
To see additional memorabilia, click here:http://ladailymirror.com/
The Pacific Creamery Co. was once located inside the Pacific Electric Building, corner of Main and 6th Street.
Early street car in Garvanza, a neighborhood in Highland Park.
Here is what Wikipedia has to say about the area:
Garvanza was served by Henry Huntington’s Los Angeles Railway (LARY) as early as 1902, and the LARY had a direct line from Garvanza to Downtown Los Angeles by 1904. By 1907 Huntington had extended the Garvanza line in two directions: along York Blvd. and along North Figueroa Street.
Hikers pose for a photo on top of Mt. Wilson in 1907.
The Edward Doheny and Bailey grounds at Chester Place, circa 1907.
San Pedro Harbor around 1907.
Main and Fifth Streets in 1908.
The Leonide Hotel is 2nd from left. Looks like the streetcar banner is promoting a Labor Day middleweight boxing championship fight between Stanley Ketchel and Billy Papke.
The Leonide Hotel “Ghost Sign” can be seen here:http://www.flickr.com/
The corner of Grand Ave. and 9th Street, circa 1908. The building on the corner is the Great Western Steam Carpet Cleaning Works, which appears to be in a neighborhood populated with churches. The building on the far left was the B’nai B’rith Synagogue. The Murine billboard on the right advertises eye drops. (LAPL 00068172)
A downtown parade in 1908. In the background is the Hollenbeck Hotel, which was once located on the corner of Spring and 2nd Streets.
The Yamato, Inc. was a Japanese Bazaar that served tea and cake to customers in 1908. Female impersonator Julian Eltinge was one of its customers. In 1917, the three story building became Harry Fink & Co., an apparel store for women’s clothing.
Postcard reads “Palm Drive from Singleton Court looking towards Adams Street, Los Angeles, Cal.” Circa 1908.
Eagle Rock in 1908.
Benjamin Hardin shows off his 1908 Merkel motorcycle in the backyard of widow Anna Cowley’s house at 2880 Roxbury Street in Los Angeles. It appears as though this street does not exist by this name anymore.
An excursion to Laurel Canyon, circa 1908.
The Redondo Beach City Hall building, completed in 1908, was once located at the corner of Benita and Emerald Streets. It remained a city building until 1957, when it was closed and eventually torn down.
A woman named Ada poses on a sand dune at Manhattan Beach in 1908.
A mystery photo taken in Los Angeles, c. 1909.
Hollenbeck Park, located at 415 S. St Louis St., Los Angeles, CA 90033. Notice the typo on the bottom image?
A postcard sold in Los Angeles as well as San Francisco around 1909-1910, promoting California’s ability to grow beautiful flowers.
Before Luna Park, there was the 35-acre Chutes Park, which had an amusement park (among other entertainment venues) constructed near downtown Los Angeles. This photo was taken in 1909, the year before it became Luna Park. In 1914, the amusement park section was closed.
To find out what Wikipedia has to say about Chutes, click here.
The first Santa Anita Racetrack was built in 1907 on “Lucky” Baldwin’s ranch in what is now Arcadia. The racetrack only stayed open for two years, before being forced to close after Los Angeles County passed a ban against gambling, which made horse racing illegal. This photo was taken in 1909, the year it closed.