A pictorial look at Los Angeles in the Roaring 20s! Above photo: A traffic jam in 1920.
A vintage 1920s postcard of Los Angeles’ “Busy Broadway.” The view looks south from 6th Street.
The 500 block of S. Broadway in 1920.
The Chocolate Shop moved from its original location on Fifth Street to a larger space at 217 West Sixth Street. Its new location opened in 1914.
Pasadena artist Ernest Batchelder created Dutch-themed tile murals for the new store.
Photo, c. 1920. (University of California)
The short-lived Beverly Hills Speedway in 1920. By 1924, it would close and a new racetrack would open in nearby Culver City. (LAPL 00033404)
The Mushroom Cafe, once located at 3500 W. Olive Ave., now the site of Central Park at Toluca Lake, a high-rise office building. While the Los Angeles Public Library states that the photo is from 1920.
Vaughn-Schuler Battery Storage, c. 1922. Its address was 3241 S. Figueroa St.
The Calpet Super Service Station was once located at 3237 Wilshire Blvd in Santa Monica. Photo is believed to be around 1922. Camera lens distortion gives a slant to the otherwise horizontal wings flanking the central structure.
In its heyday, the station had a 55% female clientele. The tile colors on the roof were red, tan and black. The servicemen wore maroon jackets, white shirts and black bow-ties along with their breeches and putters. The station boasted a ladies room adorned with Venetian mirrors and a wicker settee with red leather cushion adorned with colorful pillows. The station also supposedly had a shoeshine station.
The address is no longer valid, but it looks like the Calpet Super Station might have been located around the corner of Wilshire and Centinela.
A barber shop believed to have once been located at 919 1/2 West 6th St. in Los Angeles. Circa 1920s.
Beverly Drive in Beverly Hills, north of Santa Monica Blvd. 1923. (LAPL 00020216 )
Two photos of the Airplane Cafe on Ventura Blvd. in the San Fernando Valley, c. 1924.
Signal Hill in 1924, the year it was incorporated.
The opening of the Mulholland Highway in December 1924. The banner in the distance reads, “Welcome. Mulholland Highway. 55 Miles of Scenic Splendor.” (USC Digital Image)
The Chapman Park Hotel and Bungalows, once located at 3405 Wilshire Boulevard, was completed in 1925. It was later torn down in the mid 1960s to make room for the Equitable building, designed by Welton Becket.
To see more pictures, click here.
A summit at Topanga Canyon in the 1920s.
Buster Keaton‘s Italian Villa located on Pamela Drive in Beverly Hills is southwest of the photo’s center. To the left of Keaton‘s Villa is another huge mansion that one reliable online source identified as belonging to Tom Mix and you will see Summit Drive on the other side of the possible Mix mansion winding towards —
—Charles Chaplin‘s mansion (almost directly left of photo center).
Following Summit past Chaplin‘s house heading towards the mountains, the next mansion (northwest of photo center) should be Pickfair.
To the right of Keaton‘s villa (southeast of photo center) is the Virginia Robinson estate. What looks like a property in between Keaton‘s Villa and the Robinson estate, located literally on Cove Way (south and a little east of photo’s center), was the residence of Victor Fleming.
Photo is dated around 1926-1927.
Please correct if I am wrong, but I think I figured it out.
April showers caused flooded streets in Los Angeles on April 4 and 5, 1926. Over 2.20 inches of rain fell on April 4, flooding a number of downtown intersections with over two feet of water. The heavy rains also washed out train routes and flooded basements throughout Los Angeles, Pasadena and Glendale.
Above photo: Mariposa and 6th Street.
On April 5, an additional 1.7 inches of rain fell on Los Angeles before 2:30 p.m. Within 24 hours, the Automobile Club of Southern California received over 357 emergency road service calls from stranded motorists. Most of these calls were made by mud-splattered drivers who sped through flooded intersections, thus causing water to seep into the ignition of their cars. A few drivers had also broken a wheel of their vehicle from skidding into a curb.
The heavy rains and flooded streets made it very clear. The city needed better storm drains.
6th Street and Mariposa. The Hotel Normandie, which opened around May 1926, at 6th and Normandie, is in the background. Photo probably taken in late 1926 or early 1927. (LAPL 00019254)
Myrna Loy, c. 1926-27.
Storm drains were improved around the city, but progress was slow. Heavy rain showers continued to hit in late 1926 and early 1927, flooding streets, closing businesses, disrupting transportation, and ruining houses.
Los Angeles’ Bureau of Power and Light installing a street light. Since the billboard in the background is advertising the Constance Talmadge film The Duchess of Buffalo, the photo date is probably late 1926. (DWP)
The Los Angeles Fire Department football team in action, circa 1926. (LAPL 00055695)
Twins pose near Eagle Rock in the 1920s. (USC Digital Archive)
A postcard image of the Carthay Circle Theatre, completed in 1926, with Henry Lion’s sculpture of a prospector in the foreground.
A fancy hood ornament.
Photo taken in Los Angeles, c. 1927, for Chevrolet Motors. (USC)
The Jail Cafe was located at 4212 Sunset Boulevard in Los Angeles, c. 1927. The site is now the El Cid Restaurant. Note the guard in the tower.
A waiter in prison guard taking an order. Bread and water was on the house.
The El Patio Auto Laundry, circa 1927, was located at 260 S. Vermont Street. It was owned by B.K. Gillespie, who is credited with coming up with the super service station concept.
By 1928, Gillespie and other investors started a chain of super centers under the Gillespie Automobile Laundry System name. One of these early backers was Will Hays, a cleaner of motion picture content.
The Pacific Auto Laundries claimed that they could do a 10 minute quick wash, and a 40 minute detailed wash, which included a polish and a cleaning of the engine.
A waitress offers tea to a police officer directing traffic at the corner of Broadway and 11th Street in 1927. (LAPL)
Los Angeles “Motorcycle Officerettes,” 1927.
A showroom at J.W. Robinson’s, a department store once located on 7th Street, between Hope and Grand, circa late 1920s.
Darling’s Flower Shop was one of the oldest florists in Los Angeles. It was located inside the Hayward Hotel, situated on the southwest corner of Sixth and Spring. This photo shows their delivery vehicle circa 1928. Sadly, Darling’s Flower Shop was hit hard by the Depression, declaring bankruptcy in 1934.
The Cornucopia Ice Cream stand at 1934 San Fernando Blvd in 1928. (LAPL 00068651)
Chapman Market on the corner of 6th Street and Alexandria. Architects: Morgan, Walls & Clement. This photo was taken in June of 1929, not long after it was completed.
The “City of Glendale” was an all-metal dirigible designed to fly around 100 mph and carry 40 passengers. However, on its test run in 1929, the air ship exploded. The Slate Aircraft Company, who built the dirigible, claimed that heat from the sun pressurized the gas chamber, causing the riveting to separate.
Photo taken at the Grand Central Air Terminal in Glendale, California. The airport closed in 1959.
The Automobile Club of Southern California Sign Posting Department, circa 1929. (LAPL 00059578)
A Union Ice Company delivery truck, provided by the F & F Six Wheel Company.
F & F existed from approximately 1929 to 1932.
A Union Motor Oil Truck, c. 1929-1932.
The Round House Cafe, formerly located at 250 N. Virgil Avenue. It originally opened around 1927, but this photo was taken around 1929. (LAPL: 000686)