The Hollywood Canteen operated from October 3, 1942 to November 22, 1945. Its address was 1451 Cahuenga Boulevard. Today, the site is a parking structure. The two entertainers responsible for creating the Canteen were John Garfield and Bette Davis.
Marlene Dietrich, Bob Hope and Bette Davis standing in front of the Hollywood Hall of Honor at the Hollywood Canteen. The original building used to be a livery stable that had been converted into a nightclub called “The Old Barn” before becoming the Canteen.
This photo was taken on November 3,1943, and features a Who’s Who of entertainment professionals who entered the armed forces in WWII. (LAPL)