Los Angeles: Snapshots of the 1940s.
Above photo: An aerial view of city hall in 1940.
Another view of City Hall, circa 1940.
Photographer: Ansel Adams/ LAPL 00085775
Night view of Los Angeles from the Griffith Observatory, circa 1940.
Sunset Boulevard facing west from Palm Ave., circa July of 1940. (LAPL 00039538)
A man walks past the entrance to Schaber’s Cafeteria. Behind him is the May Diamond Co. “The Store of Happiness” at 618 S. Broadway. Behind the May Diamond Co. is Desmond’s (now a Payless Shoes Store). I’m guessing this photo was taken around 1940.
Photo taken outside of the former Silver Lion Café located at 507 S. Front Street (now Harbor Blvd) in San Pedro. The Greek-owned restaurant was originally named the Gold Lion when it opened in 1918 and it’s original owner was Peter Kyriax. The Silver Lion suffered extensive damage in 1933 from the Long Beach earthquake. Judging from this 1940 photo, business was alive and well; however, don’t expect to eat at the Silver Lion today. The cafe is long gone.
The Cole Bros. Circus arriving for a week long engagement in late September of 1940.
The intersection of 12th and Main Streets in December 1940. (LAPL 00043346)
Pounding waves wreaking havoc on ocean front properties along Redondo Beach in December of 1940. (LAPL 00043322)
The intersection of Beverly Blvd. and Bonner Drive in 1941. (LAPL: 00104367)
The Ben-Hur Delicious Drip Coffee Cafe in Alhambra gets an unwelcome surprise after a vehicle loses control and crashes into it in 1941. Four people were injured. The coffee shop’s address was 2969 Valley Boulevard. (LAPL: 00073540)
Construction on the Arroyo Seco Freeway through Elysian Park in 1941. Seen are the Figueroa Street Tunnel and the Park Lane Bridge (in the background). LAPL 00075981
A busy day in downtown Los Angeles circa 1942. The Cutts Building (now the Great Western Building) is at 706 South Hill Street. Simon’s Restaurant (now a Chinese eatery called Wow Bowl) is at 712 S. Hill. The wording on the far right reads “Spreckels Building 714 South Hill.”
A chance meeting in front of the Dotty Dunn Store at 716 S. Hill Street in downtown Los Angeles in 1942.
High school girls in the Victory Corp. practice their marksmanship in a Roosevelt High School hallway. Photo: August 1942.
Berger’s Cafe at 101 W. 6th Street. It was in business in 1942.
A novelty photo taken in New Chinatown, circa 1943.
Snow in Eagle Rock, circa January of 1945. The photo was taken on the 1800 block of Chickasaw Avenue. (LAPL 00049771)
Oh, if only it were that “Easy”…but the street is actually located between Highland Park and South Pasadena.
Lindy’s, a restaurant and cocktail bar, at 3656 Wilshire Blvd., Los Angeles. It went bankrupt in 1958. Postcard, circa 1940s.
Orlando Ave looking at Santa Monica Blvd. in West Hollywood. Photo from the 1940s.
A Los Angeles streetcar, circa mid-1940s. The sign reads “W. 6th & Larchmont to Melrose.”
Lucas Kiddieland (also known as Beverly Park) in 1945, the year it opened.
The land used to be part of an oil field at La Cienega and Beverly Blvd. until it was leased for development.
The amusement park closed in 1974. Beverly Center now occupies the site.
Broadway Street around 9:00 p.m. during a transit strike in 1946. (LAPL 00022471)
The art deco Coty Paris Salon at 3150 Wilshire Blvd., circa 1947.
Couples partying at a jazz club known as The Last Word in the 1940s (my guess). It’s address was 4206 S. Central Ave., close to the historic Dunbar Hotel. The building no longer stands.
Taken at the Los Angeles Coliseum in 1946. Los Angeles Dons fullback Bus Mertes flubs a catch at the goal line against the Chicago Rockets. The game ended in a 17-17 tie.
The Los Angeles Dons was the city’s first professional football team. It was organized in 1946, two weeks before the formation of its rival, the Los Angeles Rams. While the Rams were part of the National Football League (NFL), the Dons were part of the All-America Football Conference (AAFC), which included the Cleveland Browns, Baltimore Colts, and the San Francisco 49ers. The AAFC, however, didn’t last long. In 1949, the Dons played their final season before the AAFC merged with the NFL. The Dons then merged with the Rams.
City Hall during the Christmas season, c. 1947.
Crenshaw Boulevard, south of Stocker Street, circa 1948. (LAPL 00104399)
The intersection where 9th, Main and Spring Streets converge. Photo taken in 1948.
Looking north on the 110 (Arroyo Seco Parkway) in 1948. LAPL 00043593
Heading south along Figueroa Street (near 7th) in June of 1949. (LAPL: 00104234)
The Chicago Bears playing the Los Angeles Rams at the Coliseum, October 30, 1949. The Rams won 27-24. (LAPL 00096229)
How ’bout them apples? Diane Smith bobbing at the Cock’n Bull, a former restaurant on the Sunset Strip at Sunset and Doheny. Photo circa 1949. (Photographer: Lee Weber / LAPL 00057037)