Chapman Park

Chapman Park – Los(t) Angeles – Wilshire Blvd

Posted on Leave a commentPosted in Los(t) Angeles

The Chapman Park Hotel and Bungalows, once located at 3405 Wilshire Boulevard, was completed in 1925. It was later torn down in the mid 1960s to make room for the Equitable building, designed by Welton Becket. To see more pictures, click here: http://nowandthengeoclass.weebly.com/the-chapman-hotel-and-bungalows.html Share

Twitter
Pinterest
Instagram
Tumblr
Court Flight

Los(t) Angeles – Court Flight

Posted on Leave a commentPosted in Los(t) Angeles

An undated (possibly 1910s), view of the base of a funicular known as Court Flight. It was a funicular railway that was once situated a couple of blocks north of Angels Flight. (Los Angeles Public Library 00012815)   A view of the 12-story Hall of Records, once located at 220 N. Broadway. Behind it is the Court Flight […]

Twitter
Pinterest
Instagram
Tumblr
Chinatown Los Angeles

Los(t) Angeles: Chinatown photos – 1891 to 1937

Posted on Leave a commentPosted in Los(t) Angeles

Glimpses of Chinatown from the early 1890s to its demise in the late 1930s. The neighborhood was torn down to build Union Station, which opened in 1939.   Chinatown’s “crib district” where bordellos flourished. Photo looks west from Alameda Street towards the Plaza. Part of the two-storied Lugo Adobe (razed in 1951) can be seen on the […]

Twitter
Pinterest
Instagram
Tumblr
China City

China City – Los(t) Angeles – Photos

Posted on Leave a commentPosted in Los(t) Angeles

In the mid 1930s, after the City of Los Angeles planned to destroy downtown’s original Chinatown to make way for Union Station, many Chinese residents and businesses began to look for a new neighborhood to relocate to.  This lead to the brief incarnation of China City in the late 1930s. Around 1935, Old Chinatown community leader Peter Soo-Hoo, […]

Twitter
Pinterest
Instagram
Tumblr
Busch Gardens

Pasadena – Busch Gardens photos

Posted on Leave a commentPosted in Los(t) Angeles

A bridge at Pasadena’s Busch Gardens in 1910. Photographer: H. C. Tibbitts From: http://www.pasadenahistory.org/thingstosee/buschgardens.html   The Busch Gardens in Pasadena used to have lots of really eclectic little fairy tale sculptures within the 16-acre lower end of the park. Here is “Cinderella Feeding the Birds.” The top image shows how it looked around 1909, when the park first […]

Twitter
Pinterest
Instagram
Tumblr
Temple Auditorium

Temple Auditorium – 427 W. 5th St

Posted on Leave a commentPosted in 1900s, Los(t) Angeles

The Temple Auditorium, once located at 427 W. 5th St., opened in November 1906. It was built by wealthy Baptists from Temple Baptist Church at a cost of $350,000.  In 1914, the name of the auditorium changed to Clune’s before becoming the Philharmonic Auditorium in the 1920s.    A 1934 view of the the old […]

Twitter
Pinterest
Instagram
Tumblr
La Grande Station

Los(t) Angeles – La Grande Station

Posted on Leave a commentPosted in Los(t) Angeles

The Moorish-designed La Grande Station, located at 2nd Street and Santa Fe Ave., opened on July 29, 1893, and was the main terminal for the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railways for over 40 years.   Photo, c. 1899. A vintage postcard of a train arriving, circa 1905.   The Long Beach earthquake of 1933 badly […]

Twitter
Pinterest
Instagram
Tumblr